Adelaide Gaol closing In 1969, Adelaide Gaol's female prisoners were transferred to a new facility at Northfield and extensive upgrades took place over the next decade to provide more 'modern' facilities. For the first time since its construction in 1841, male prisoners occupied the entire institution. By the early 1980s it was decided that Adelaide Gaol would close. The only major change that took place before Adelaide Gaol's closure in 1988 was the installation of security cameras in 1984. That same year, the Adelaide Remand Centre opened in Currie Street and 1987 saw the opening of a medium security facility at Mobilong, near Murray Bridge. Prisoners were gradually transferred and in 1988 the Department of Correctional Services and Prisoners decommissioned Adelaide Gaol. Adelaide Gaol today Today, we are fortunate that it is accessible to the public and offers a great education opportunity to a wide range of ages.